Happy 2012, everyone! Now with all of the holiday decor stowed away til next season, it was time to start a project! Tis the year for purging and organizing, I say. Seeing as how my closet generally looks like a bomb went off, I decided that it was important to start the year fresh! Generally, I try to organize clothes by type, but since Andrew helps with the laundry (What a guy!), things often are hung out of place. That is generally the beginning of the end for my organized closet. I think it’s time for a fool proof system with spacers, that way we don’t waste time reorganizing every few months. Thus meaning, we begin…
I just hate looking at that cluttered mess every morning when I’m picking out what to wear! Oh yes, this project most definitely needs to tackled head on.
To begin, I made a list of all of the things I wanted to accomplish:
- Remove clothes and shoes that I haven’t worn and/or thought about in the past 3-6 months.
- In that pile, decide what can be sold or donated.
- Go through purses and make sure they are in their dust bag. (Purses are kept in the tan baskets)
- Take out what needs to be steamed or ironed. (No point in looking at shirts that you want to wear but don’t because they need to be ironed. I should just do it before it’s hung, that way they do get worn more often.)
- Create a system for my shoes. (Kept in individual clear boxes, but it’s really hard to see what’s actually in the box.)
- Make labeled spacers, so every item has it’s place.
Since I have a fairly short attention span (Not going to lie to myself about that!), I know this project will not get completed in one day. Because of that, I’m giving myself three days to finish this dandy of a project!
On Pinterest, I’ve seen a lot of people use CD’s as dividers for their closet but I wasn’t really willing to give up the use of a few blank CD’s. They are expensive! But, I did have a lot of scrapbook paper left from our coaster project and I have a laminator. There is most certainly something to be made of that. I cut a sheet of paper in fours, and took one of those sheets into the closet. With scissors in hand, I cut a line to the center, then a circle. Next, I put that on the hanger rod to see if it hung evenly, and wasn’t too tall that it would hit the shelf above. It worked! We have a template!
I made a list of all of the sections of clothing I would like, that way I knew how many hangers I would need to cut. The total was 8, so I got to cuttin’ on that handy papercutter of mine.
Since I’m not fancy and unable to print on vinyl, I had to kick it old school with clear Avery labels. Check out the “Lightning Gear” label. That’s right, folks. I’ve got a nice little section of closet completely dedicated to all of my Tampa Bay Lightning clothing. You’re jealous. It’s okay, I understand.
Stick labels onto scrapbook paper, and voila!
Once the labels were adhered, I laid them out into laminating sheets as evenly as I could. By doing this, I’m hoping I won’t have to trim off too much excess.
No action shots of the sheets going through the laminator, but I can tell you it was riveting. Nothing better than the smell of hot plastic. Almost as good as the smell of burning my hair with the straightening iron.
Trim, trim, Trim…it’s easy as 1, 2, 3!
Once the dividers are trimmed, it’s time to make the first cut which enables the cards to slip onto the closet rod. Generally, I just made sure the cut went to the center of the card.
Next was the not so fun part. I used a dry erase maker to make an outline of the circle, and traced it with my X-Acto knife. Make sure you have something to product your counter surface when cutting. I have the board that is part of the X-Acto designer series.
8 circles later, we have a final product!
Come back tomorrow to see the final project in use, and to check out the next stage in Closet Revamp 2012!
Love, J and A